I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Behind every woman there is a list

When this job change/world move started in March, I knew I would have my share to do. I have filled out countless visa applications, passport applications, and medical forms. As I rented out my house, sold cars, canceled policies, changed my address and moved my family into my parents’ house, there was increasingly more paperwork.

We are now in the countdown. I am preparing to take four kids on a 13 hour flight with 10 pieces of checked baggage, 5 small carry-on suitcases, and 5 backpacks. I got to thinking, if I lost a piece of luggage, how would I know which one? So I did what every mother would do----I took digital pictures of the luggage, got them printed at my favorite store and wrote the contents on the back. I’m pretty sure a picture speaks a thousand words and this way I’m saving myself tumbling over 10,000 Russian words.

My husband emailed me last week that while he was in a store, his beer top busted open in the cart and spewed all over the place. He was trying to communicate to the security guard that he needed a new one, but instead the guard opened it all the way for him and handed it back. Apparently they drink and drive carts. After single parenting four kids for six weeks, I can’t say I disapprove.

Knowing that airports are intimidating anyway with all the security and schedules, I figured I could save myself a little bit of heart-ache with this new list. I’ve also made myself one to obey when I arrive. Here’s a bit of it:

1. Get a bath. I have definitely showered in the past few weeks, but not without someone entering uninvited or breaking up a fight through the curtain. Does anybody else understand this? If so, give a shout out!

2. Send the kids to their rooms. Honestly, I think they will totally love this one. When my three year old screams “I just wanna be lone!” I get it.

3. Drink irresponsibly. Maybe not. Being hung-over in Russian is probably just as crummy as being hung-over in English.

4. Bake a HUGE batch of cookies for my hubby and my kids to enjoy. That’s the best way to really feel moved into a house.

5. Throw away all my other lists.

If you can’t tell already, I’m on the up-and-up. I’m starting to feel like the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train, but instead an airplane flying on the Moscow horizon.

1 comment:

  1. Elise,
    I absolutely love reading your posts. In fact, you have inspired me to grab and beer and go grocery shopping :) Perhaps even alone. And I definitely hear you about the shower thing. I get about 3-5 minutes in the shower before Jonathan starts climbing the toilet and yelling my name. Our bathroom doesn't have a lock on it or else I'd just use that!!

    I'm sure you and Neil are so ready to be together. My prayers go with you as you travel w/ the kids to Russia. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures!

    -Jamie Bartlett

    ReplyDelete