I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Metro Dogs and Other Such Nonsense

Back home my kids liked the PBS show "Martha Speaks." It featured a talking dog who was able to communicate with both humans and people. The program has forever changed my perception of dogs so that when I see them, I imagine what they would say. Stray dogs in Russia are a problem. I don't know why they don't have mean, nasty dog-catchers running around except that they would be stuck in traffic for hours each day. So---we feed the dogs.

Recently it came to my attention that children ride the metro for free. With a family of six in a city where virtually nothing is free (including public restrooms) I was happy to discover that it costs only 52 rubles (about 1.75) for all of us to ride. I was, however, unhappy to discover that dogs ride free. They are called metro-dogs. They ride the metro for however long they choose and disembark at stops where they know the scraps will be plentiful. Our stop is apparently popular.

Nearly every time we ride the metro, Number 3 points out the distinct "stinky" smell. She, of course, is never whispering or discreet, it is said with a squeezed nose and a high-pitched voice squealing in disgust. This is when they know we are foreigners. It could also be that we wear brightly colored coats; everyone here wears brown or black or sometimes....wait for it.....charcoal. Or it could also be that we smell so clean. I will admit, I only shower every other day here, but that's still very often compared to the weekly wash of the locals.

Oh and by the way, young children, sometimes six and seven year-olds, ride the metro alone to and from school each day. My hubby mentioned to my almost nine year-old that soon she may be able to ride alone. That conversation is pending. It will eventually be vetoed. After all, I may be living in Russia, but my kid still talks, walks, and looks like an American. Maybe if I got her a dog...

1 comment:

  1. Elise, Thanks for all the insights and experiences that you are sharing with us here! May you have a blessed Thanksgiving. (Is there a Russian equivalent to that? Or do Americans celebrate it there even if no "official" holiday? Just my curious nature coming out!)
    Love to you from us, The Beethes

    ReplyDelete