I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Monday, January 3, 2011

A Hot Date

My hubby and I haven’t officially gone on a date since August. That being said, we were well overdue. Some lovely people here in our community offered to watch our kids for us so we could have a night out on the town. We waited at the bus stop at 3:30 in the afternoon with novels in hand and cash in pocket. We arrived at the metro station and hopped on board for an hour ride. We were lucky to get seats because the train got so crowded that I could barely see my date. We got off at our stop and headed up top to see what was there. Our goal was a movie theater where they would be showing an American movie in English. We arrived at the cinema a little early so we could go find some dinner.

We stepped down to the first floor and asked the concierge where there might be a bathroom. He pointed us through some doors and said “It’s across from the wardrobe.” In coats, scarves, hats, jeans, and gloves we pushed our way through what appeared to be a private party. No one was wearing heels less than four inches and the dress length was mandatory mini. We reluctantly found the restrooms with no labels as to MEN or WOMEN. So we watched and waited. Women came out of both. I told my hubby he was out of luck. We saw another couple (obviously guests of this party) who were dealing with the same problem. They quickly pointed out which room they were going to and went in. We hopped quickly behind them.

Note to self---if I can see through the stall doors, so can they.

Anyway, we headed back out to the streets to find a restaurant. We only had an hour and a half before movie time and Russian restaurants aren’t exactly known for their speedy service. So we found a McDonald's. McDonald's in itself is a science. First you have to shove your way through the line, and I mean shove! Then you have to get an English picture menu and point out what you want. They rarely manage to get it right. Then you pay for it and they shove the tray back through the crowd. This is the easy part.

Next you have to find a table. Basically this means you can sit in any unoccupied seat regardless if there are others at the table. Russians have no personal boundaries and will sit with complete strangers. We did the same. We found a table where an elderly gentlemen and his granddaughter were seated and joined them. We ate in silence and looked around at the ambiance.

After we ate, we walked about fifteen minutes in fifteen degrees back to the cinema. We were the only ones there at first but slowly, seven more Americans sat down. It was strange because for the first time, I felt out of place with Americans. I kept hoping some Russians would crowd in and sit next to me but they never did. Weird.

After the movie, which was a disappointing version of the book, we headed back to the metro station. We arrived at our destination about 45 minutes before our bus would come to pick us up so we had some time to kill. All the stores were closed so we stopped at a beverage kiosk and paid the lady for a beer. We stood at the bus stop in 15 degrees for 45 minutes, shared a beer, and talked. It was a unique date, but of course with a Russian twist. We got home just before midnight.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted you to know that I love following your journey through this blog. Your retelling of the stories is hilarious and I enjoy reading them very much!!! Hope you are all well and adjusting to your new life!!

    ReplyDelete