I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Monday, October 31, 2011

Eating Crow

This post has nothing to do with food. I have an old friend who would often refer to forced humility as "sharing a slice of humble-pie" or more eloquently, "eating crow." I ate crow today. It does not taste good.

My poor hubs has been slowly recovering from the travel disaster to Paris. Just yesterday I was boasting to a neighbor about my ability to take care of myself and not get in jams. I spoke too soon.

This morning I took my girls to get their hair cut, a task which gets easier all the time. After only 15 minutes at the salon and $25 later, the lovely ladies were ready to hit the road. I was excited that I had so much of my day left!

When we got to the car I unlocked the door with the key. Then, I opened the door and tossed the keys onto the passenger seat. I tried opening the back door as the front door swung shut and all the doors locked simultaneously. It's an old car. I'm not exactly sure how this all happened. But there, gleaming in the rare November sunlight, were my keys on the seat. That first bite of crow didn't go down very easily.

Number 3 complains of car sickness all the time. We are constantly having to close the back windows because she has opened them. Go figure she didn't do that today.

I looked at my watch thinking maybe I could catch the bus back home. The bus schedule I just happened to grab before I left was strategically placed between the two front seats so that I couldn't read the departure times. I'm glad I couldn't because it turns out the bus was just leaving. I hailed a cab and paid $10 to go 2 miles. The second bite of crow sat bitterly in my stomach.

So I sat at home and ate caramels until the phone rang. Somebody had an idea and I could meet them at 6pm at the Metro station. The good neighbor (the same to whom I was boasting my independence) was able to get a window open and grab the keys with a long wire. I smiled in disbelief and thankfulness.

I could blame this situation on lots of things, but I'm going to take the high road and claim that everybody does something stupid once in awhile. Fortunately for me, my tow bill cost me a plate of chocolate chip cookies and a little perspective.

My vehicle wasn't any worse for the wear really. I missed a whole day of carefully planned activities because I just didn't keep the keys in my pocket. I highly doubt if that same blunder will happen again, but don't quote me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment