I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Unpacking to Pack


I wrote this post earlier, but I thought I should finally publish it. Sorry for the delay.

We moved. It's new and different in the city. It's new and different living within the confines of American soil in Moscow. I will give you some comparisons to give you an idea of the changes.

Old house: 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, fireplace, classroom in the dining room, make-shift storage shelving in every nook and cranny, 2 stall garage, main floor, single entrance, long commute. Number 3 wrote this note in chalk on our front step.



New house: 5 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, classroom upstairs, closet space we still haven't managed to fill, no garage, upper floor (16 steps per level: 32 total to go to my room), quad-style entrance, no commute



The view from our old house was trees, a lake, and a wide yard. Our view here is the Russian White house and Hotel Ukraine. For two whole years, we didn't have neighbors in the unit next to us. Now we share a quad with three other families. We can hear the kids next door running down the stairs and their mothers shouting at them to close the door.

Number 2 already made friends with nearly every kid on compound. I have barely seen his face inside our door since we arrived. Number 1 is blissfully enjoying the freedom and privacy of her own room for the very first time. She stays up too late each night reading. I can't complain.

Since we unpacked our house, I have been back to the US twice and we will all be there again in March. But it's okay. We've got a place to come back to with no boxes.




No comments:

Post a Comment