I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hello Mother, hello Father


If you have been alive long enough, you will remember these catchy commercial lyrics from the 80s. It featured a little girl writing home to tell her parents about camp. More and more lately, I feel like my life is like camp and I will tell you why.

When I was a girl, each summer I saved money, sold consumable food items, and begged so I could go to camp. I went several years in a row and when weekly camp wasn't possible, I went to day camp. I learned the buddy system for the swimming pool, became proficient in the leather-works shop, and saved my quarters to use at the canteen. When I wasn't at camp alone, each summer for one week we went to family camp. We had our own grade appropriate counselors, mom and dad went to hear speakers about improving your family, and the afternoons were filled with beaches and sunshine. We were never rich but I've come to realize that the camp experience tops the charts in my memory bank.

When my husband and I were engaged, we were camp counselors. I became that iconic college student who got little sleep, was always up for a round of four-square, and held kids' hands on the way to the beach. One particular little boy wrote to me years later telling me how special I was to him.

So now we live on the compound in the eternal twilight zone of camp. I'm making relationships that will seal in my heart forever. I can visit the commissary (canteen) and get good ole' American candy any time I want and still use my quarters. If I don't feel like cooking, we walk down to the cafeteria or restaurant and we go swimming as much as possible. There are activities in which to get involved and everything is just a walk away. As my kids and I march to the gate, we often hold hands, swing arms, and sing a camp song.

Obviously I still have my regular duties here, but most of the time it feels like organized fun. The downside to all this fun is that camp usually only lasted a week. I have endured several months of these pumped up activities and family togetherness. I like family togetherness, but lately I really prefer my family. This doesn't mean I don't like yours, it's just that sooner or later, you're going to leave anyway. I'm ready to exchange addresses and pretend like we'll keep in touch. The truth is, it rarely happens. Everyone is well meaning when they say, "We'll see each other again," but we probably won't.

So camp is fun. But somewhere deep in my heart I'm ready to come home, when I figure out exactly where that is.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, but have you produced any lanyards recently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you wait, Mr. Frecka. There will be lanyards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EjB7rB3sWc

    ReplyDelete