I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Monday, July 1, 2013

The Circus


Last month my hubby's boss (whose children are all grown) volunteered to take us all to the circus just so he could witness the delight on the kids' faces. In Moscow there is the 'Old Circus' and the 'New Circus'. I'm not sure about the differences, but he suggested we attend 'Old Circus'. In the memories of my childhood, the circus is really no different than the carnival. It comes to town, does a few overpriced shows, and then tears down just as fast as it set up.

This place was different. The permanent building was circular with tiered seating all the way. You could see everything from everywhere. It felt like the show was just for you and you were practically close enough to touch the action. Before the show, they had some animals on display for photo ops. Our host indulged us with a photo with the tiger. The kids were thrilled! There were also dalmatians, elephants, birds, and other circus-y animals. Strangely enough, none of these animals were featured in that evening's show.

Anyway, my personal favorite was the very first act. The lady was an aerialist with a long, curtain-like rope. It was graceful, beautiful and I couldn't help but enjoy looking down the row at my kids' open mouths. The clown show was re-occurring and very funny! I'm pretty sure somewhere in the show they announced that he was from the US. That wasn't surprising since he counted using, one, two, and three, instead of adeen, dva, tree.

When the high-wire act began, I felt ready to be underwhelmed. One guy would walk across the line, then another. When the drummer began a drum-roll, the real action happened. The strongest man had one woman standing atop his head and another standing on his shoulders. Very slowly, they tiptoed across the line. The girls had safety lines, but the enormous man walked simply with his long pole. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I am sure I would never like to watch that live again!

There were horses, hoop-jumping dogs, a pirate clown and some dancing birds, and a live orchestra. I fully expected to simply tolerate the night, but I left thoroughly impressed and pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment