I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Cue Reality


I got my first water bill.

Why does water cost anything!? And, who in my house is using up all the water? Could it be the three female children who feel like a proper shower has to be THIRTY MINUTES LONG?

"SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! No, seriously. And stop opening the patio door so the cat can sniff the outdoors. She won't go out, stop letting her sniff. We haven't had to pay for heat in a few years. Don't waste it now." I'm half tempted to tell the kids to leave the microwave open after they use it so we can absorb that extra little bit of warmth. Or maybe heat from the lightbulbs...no that leads to..

"TURN OFF THE LIGHTS!" After living in a place where you get cloudy daylight for six hours in the winter, I always justified the light usage. Now. Not so much. The bright Virginia sunlight streams into our rooms every morning. Open the shades, for heaven sakes!

If you are fortunate enough to picture Number Four in your mind, imagine her frizzy side ponytail, teeny-tiny glasses, one hand on her hip, and a pointer finger sweeping across a wooden piece of furniture collecting a nest of dust. Her reaction; "Ummmmm, when is somebody going to come to clean this up?"

She wasn't joking! During our time in Moscow, we had a once-a-week housekeeper who mopped floors, dusted, vacuumed, and cleaned our five bedrooms and four bathrooms. We've majorly downsized so I'm pretty confident that my small tribe and I can handle the task. I had no idea my pampered little darlings had become so disillusioned about the responsibility of house cleaning. Seriously, that's an integral part of homeschool life skills training.

When you live overseas, it is socially acceptable (and encouraged) to have domestic help. My once-a-week help was minimal by most standards, but the peace of mind she offered to me was invaluable. Plus, we grew to love our Natalia and her funny Russian ways.

I know that later this month I will get electric bills, natural gas bills (at least it's not propane!), internet, and phone bills. Uncle Sam, (and Mom and Dad) I would like to thank you for the years of free utilities. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. I can see that you are putting a lots of efforts into your blog. Keep posting the good work.Some really helpful information in there. Nice to see your site. Thanks!

    Wooden Boxes

    ReplyDelete