I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Shame on you, Library


I hope I've been clear about how much I love the public library. Until recently.

Summer reading program. For this girl, who was never athletic, summer reading was my opportunity to shine. I could outread all my peers, win the prizes, and submit my name for drawings repeatedly. I couldn't wait to pass on this time-honored tradition to my kids.

Numbers 3 and 4 had to read 600 minutes (in increments of 10) in order to win a "prize" and be entered in a drawing. They both completed the task in three weeks, six weeks earlier than the deadline. Here they are with their filled-in sheets.



We rode our bikes to the library and walked up to the counter as a family. We wanted the children involved to feel the gravity of their achievement. The passionless volunteer cut off the entry portion and pointed to a box. The contents in the box were remnants of a local school book donation. There was nothing classic, nothing interesting, and frankly, nothing worth reading.

But the bigger point...a crummy, thrift-store book as a library reading program prize? My amazing readers were beyond disappointed. Number 3 said, "We get better prizes at the dentist, and that's for the pain we have to go through." I looked at my husband with horror. If we didn't get this kid a prize, and I mean a prize, she would probably never pick up a book again. Our school curriculum is only about 90% reading so this could be a problem later.

Dejected, we walked down the street to a little toy shop. It's the kind where the owner works the counter and knows about every toy in the place. It's a shop for brain candy. We told the girls they could each choose something for under $10 as a prize for all the reading they did. Number 4 chose a reusable sticker doll book. Number 3 chose a Magic 8 Ball. I'm not sure why that fits into the learning toys, but she's wanted one forever and the guidelines were clear. I immediately asked the ball if Number 3 would read books again. It said simply "It is certain." We bought it.

A few weeks later, we returned to the library to turn in Number 1 and 2's reading logs, four novels each. Here's how the librarian reacted;

"Wow! Great work!"
"Do we get a prize?" asked Number 2.
"Unfortunately, the prizes were returned due to a safety issue. Check back next week."

Since Number 2 had seen the drill earlier, he requested a specific toy at Target that was exactly $9.99. We went, bought the toy, and went home. Number 1 simply asked for $10 to be transferred to her bank account. Wise child.

So, to sum it up, the FREE reading program at the Library this summer cost me $40, an uphill battle for book-reading motivation, and maybe future counseling. Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment