I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Sunday, October 10, 2010

First Family Day

This morning I slept in until 9am as did my entire family! My husband taught me the word for hello last night before bed and I repeated it so I wouldn’t forget. It’s pronounced Zdraz-voot-ya. Sure enough, I woke up saying it.

Number 3 ran into our room with a tooth in her hand. I didn’t even know she had a loose one. We all got up in a frenzy to make it to the 10 o’clock bus to the metro station. We rode a dilapidated bus a few miles with lots of Filipino ladies wanting to touch my kids’ hair and then we took the metro into the city.

We arrived about a block from Red Square and did some minimal window shopping. After all, walking on brick with one stroller and four kids tends to take awhile. Plus, we’ve only been here five days so we’re still somewhat out-of-sorts. I thought number 1’s face was going to crack as she was squealing about the fact that she was at a place that she had seen in her history book back home. Definitely an A+ parenting moment.

We saw a couple of wedding parties go by and Number 3 couldn’t get over the fact that nearly all Russian women wear “shiny shoes with heels.” We paid for a porta-potty (20 rubles, about 67 cents) and hoped everybody else would hold it until we got home. After a walk around the Kremlin, a picnic lunch, and Russian ice-cream from a vendor, we took the metro back home.

We raced in the door, changed our clothes (dignitary appropriate) and headed for the bus stop where a school bus took us to the Embassy for a meet and greet with Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Terminator and current Governor of California. Like most things, it is hard to explain to four hungry, tired children how important an event like this could be in their young lives. Numbers 2 and 4 stood in the front row with their friends and he shook my son’s hand. Number 2 came up to us afterward with a huge smile on his face and said “I’ve got to call Papa and tell him!” He may not know much, but he knew Papa had seen him in movies before and would be impressed.

Anyway, not much energy left to infuse this entry with laughter, but at least I recorded it somewhere so it won’t be forgotten. I've gotta go put some rubles under a pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment