I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Thursday, October 28, 2010

What are you up to?

This morning I got up at the traditional time, 9:00am, and hobbled downstairs to find my glasses. After I set the coffee pot, I plugged in the transformer, which weights about 20 pounds by the way, and then plugged in my toaster. Then I hand sliced a loaf of bread and toasted a couple of pieces. They have dozens of kinds of honey here so today I sampled a new kind. I didn't like it. I'll go back to last week's flavor.

After a couple hours of homeschool, I prepared a big lunch and cooked up some meat for later. The onions are different here too and they leave you crying for an hour after you cut them. I made fun of my husband last week when he cut them, but today I ate some humble pie with red, stinging eyes.

Then I went to work with my hubby. This sounds just as simple as "I went to Wal-mart", but it's nothing like. We commuted an hour, both by bus and metro. We spent an hour in the commissary (appropriately called the Liberty Store) where I bought tax free American groceries like Campbell's Tomato Soup and Domino powdered sugar. The bonus in this deal is that if you spend more than $100 at the store, they deliver to your house. This means that instead of carrying six bags of groceries back on the bus with me, I left with only my kids and my backpack. I'm thinking it's worth the overpriced items I purchased just for this peace of mind.

During our brief visit, I also stopped at the Post Office where I had three boxes waiting. I was very excited to get the snow boots I ordered, but my son was less than excited to discover that his pair were brown and pink. I tried to make the best of it, but I'll end up sending them back. Boys can tolerate some things in a world of sisters, but pink boots aren't one of them.

I'm back home and sitting here alone at 21:36 (that's 9:36pm) and counting backwards to try to remember what it is that you are doing right now. Maybe you're waiting to watch the world series. I'm stuck watching a compressed version of yesterday's game, but hey, whether we're here or there, the Giants still won.

2 comments:

  1. I read that if you chew gum with your mouth open while you chop onions you won't cry. Something to do with the fumes from the onion looking for moisture and entering your mouth instead of your nostrils...sounds weird, I know. I always forget to try it and remember it when tears are streaming down my face.

    I also have heard you can put the onion in the freezer for a while before you chop it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard those tips, but I always forget them too! Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete