I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Surprise! We moved.


Living overseas has given me a myriad of diverse opportunities and experiences. As a friend says, the only downside is the transient lifestyle. It's exciting to be the one moving on but it's challenging for those who aren't leaving yet or those who will never leave. I've been there before and have even called myself a fifth-year senior. But our turn finally came. That's right. We have left Russia. I hate the long, drawn-out goodbyes, the farewell luncheons, dinners, and get-togethers. Like a sticky band-aid, I would rather rip the thing right off and be done with it. I'll feel the sting later and be glad it's over.

We got the job offer on Dec 3. The kids and I flew out on Dec 22. In that amount of time I had to pack out the house, say goodbyes, schedule sleepovers, and prepare our place in Washington D.C.

In addition, Christmas had to come early at our house so everything could be packed up, so it was hustle, bustle, holiday cheer, and put-it-back-in-the-box.

The best part about this situation is that our family back home (Michigan) didn't have any idea we were leaving. We decided to take a week of vacation and surprise everyone at Christmas!

On Christmas day, we told my husband's family that we would Skype them at 11am. We showed up at their back door instead. Next we surprised my husband's siblings, then mine. Along the way, it was really fun to surprise people with texts, phone calls, and face to face.

The best part of the whole visit was that we got to welcome a new nephew, born the day after Christmas. We took as much time as possible to stop in and rock him.

SO we are in our apartment in Arlington now and we just got internet. This blog is just a starter, but I have so much more to tell you about. Please be patient and there will be other fun stories.





No comments:

Post a Comment