I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Just us


Our atmosphere is always changing; new people and job shifts. Though we've lived in Moscow for three plus years, we have lived in the city for only 15 months. We have friends from our old place, our new place, and friends we just discovered somewhere else. I've always been happy to have a small social network, but it seems to grow every month. With each new arrival, I tend to tell myself, "They can find somebody else. They don't need me and I don't need them. I'm good. One of us will just end up leaving anyway." During this time I tend to reiterate the strong connection I already have within my small circle.

But somewhere along the way, too many great people moved in. As a strong advocate of "just us", I have greatly compromised my stance to pursue this variance of wonderful people. There's the guy who rides bikes with my husband. The ladies with whom I study the Bible. There are friends who play our games from home, and friends who appreciate my baking skills. There are parents of my kids' friends, missionary friends, and home-school friends. Not one of them the same. Not one of them superfluous.

I am still an introvert. I get my energy from being alone, but when it's time to be with friends, I'm having a harder time choosing these days. For example, today is Thanksgiving. We always host our missionary friends on the Saturday after, but this year we celebrated with an intimate group today as well. Then we're celebrating with a huge group of Russian friends another week. I have always said Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday so why not celebrate it three times over? It just gives me opportunity to be three times as thankful.

Some of you reading this, I haven't seen face-to-face in years, but you are my friends too. I've heard that one of the most challenging parts of reverse culture shock (moving back to your passport country) is feeling alone and isolated. I need you all. Near, far, new, old. I'm going to need you to make me laugh, reminisce about the old days, and remind me of the adventures on the horizon. In that moment, in your living room or mine, on the phone or skype, I will make every attempt to make you feel special. Like it's just us. Like it's always been.

No comments:

Post a Comment