I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Superheroes have Sidekicks


When the kids were little, people often said to me, "I don't know how you do it?" I had four kids before I was 25 and stayed home full time to care for them. My response was usually something like, "I have the stamina for it. Instead of cramming for finals, I'm staying up nights with infants and spending my days making macaroni art and potty-training."

I still get asked this a lot, especially with four teens and pending foster kids. But today, I want to tell you a couple of secrets.

Thing one. I'm proud of my work. If I ever judged you internally or openly for being a working mom, I apologize. It's the hardest freaking job in the world! When kids have dentist appointments, sick days, and forgotten lunches, it's rarely my husband who volunteers to double up on parenting duties and work. If you know my husband, you know he's amazing and extremely supportive. But I've recently read reports that working moms work up 100 hours per week. That's a lot.

I'm fortunate to work from home as a virtual executive assistant. I regularly start my days at 5 or 5:30am to get a jump before the kids all have their morning routines. I try to take a walk if it's not raining and get in my first cup of coffee. Then there is hair to be braided, dinner prep, lunch prep, and carpool. When I come back home, I'm dressed and prepared for video calls and complete attention to work. I may throw a load in the laundry or vacuum my room if I have time. In the evening after dinner, I'm washing dishes, finishing up the laundry, and preparing for the next day. But I like working. I can't imagine what I would do with myself at home alone all day.

Thing two
. I pay someone to clean my house. It took me a long time to accept this as ok. When I stayed home and home schooled, I liked cleaning the house. It was something new and different to do. Plus, I got to enjoy the cleanliness first hand. Now that I'm working, the kids help less, and we are gone most evenings, it's totally worth it to have a tidy house. I don't feel guilty about this. At all. In fact, I see it as an opportunity to help out someone else and live in the kind of home I prefer.

I had a major surgery this past October. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up or help my family achieve my standards of cleanliness, so I hired a bi-weekly cleaning lady. I kept it a total secret from the kids. They didn't catch on at all that the main level of the house was spotless every other Tuesday! I kept the secret until a couple of weeks ago when she showed up and they were all home on summer vacation. I didn't want them becoming entitled or thinking that they can just make messes for other people to clean up so they still have to do their own rooms/bathrooms. It's only fair.

Thing three
. I no longer clip coupons and spend hours at the grocery store. I get my groceries delivered from Publix via Instacart. I paid for the yearly membership ($99) so for a minimum $35 order, I get free delivery. That means I get groceries delivered for free twice a week. I keep a running list on the app on my phone, and when it's big enough or I need something ASAP, I submit the order. In less than two hours, or at the appointed time I choose, my bagged groceries arrive at my door. I don't have to drive to the store, pick the groceries off the shelves, put them in the cart, put them on the belt, load them in the car, or unload them into the house. Now, because of this great system, my kids answer the doorbell and put the groceries away. I've actually found that we spend less this way because I don't impulse shop or fall prey to my hunger pains.

Thing Four. I take myself out to lunch once a week. I make the weekly menu, shop for the groceries, go to Costco (I haven't found a service for that yet) and keep everyone fed. So sometimes, I take myself out for sushi or Greek because I deserve to have a meal prepared without having to do the dishes. It's a small thing, but it helps me keep my sanity.

Thing Five. Having kids in public school opened my eyes to the constant permission slips, forms, and checks. So I opened a checking account for school stuff. I require my kids to fill out their own forms, fill out the check, and all I do is sign. It's life changing! They pay for haircuts, field trips, and other miscellaneous expenses and I don't have to do more work. Just sign.

So now you know, I don't do it alone. I have help and helpers. And I try to be kind to myself so I can be kind to others. This phase won't last forever, but at least I'll be sad to see it go instead of resenting the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment