I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Monday, June 7, 2010

Only the beginning

Today is the first day of summer break. I can tell it’s going to be a good one. Number 3 descended the steps this morning with a new hairstyle; let me clarify, a new self-inflicted haircut.

This use to be an everyday occurrence, but from the girl who has finally grown it out long enough to French braid, it came as a shocker. More so because she is the flower girl in a family wedding in a few weeks.

And so I’ve reminded myself these small people, who look like me, are no longer in the hands of capable educators; they are in my hands. It’s ironic that I have been warning this child that if she continues to chew on her hair, I will cut it all off. Maybe she was saving me the trouble?

Unfortunately, when she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, the punishment was made. I didn’t have to give coarse words or any discipline because the reflection she saw was horror enough. I feel the same way sometimes. I would rather have somebody slap my wrists than make me deal with the physical consequence of my errors.

Be that as it may, I am optimistic that this little one desperately needs my care. Homeschooling her will the challenge of the century. But before that, we have many more summer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment