I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Friday, June 4, 2010

Stinky Situation

As Memorial Day was on Monday, my usually scheduled trash pick-up was running one day late. This is no big deal really. We recycle so much that we only actually put about two kitchen-size trash bags in each week. However, we had a yard sale this weekend and after a yard sale, one is able to evaluate what is actually worth something and what is in fact----trash.

Last night, I noticed my overly full trash can was still at the end of the road. My prompt and efficient neighbors had already pulled their cans back up to their houses. Someone must be in the wrong.

I called the trash company this morning and to my surprise and alarm, they didn’t pick up because I simply didn’t pay the bill. After all, how would I pay the bill when it never came? This problem can be traced back to the fact that we use to have a PO BOX and the post office is located not 75 feet from my house, but they refused to deliver to me because it was not, and I quote “on their route.” It took me three months of arguing and refusal to pay my box fee to get them to give me a mailbox down an adjacent street, which is actually farther than the post office itself. When miss-marked mail would arrive, the old post-master would simply forward it on to us.

There’s a new post-master in town.

She’s a rule follower. I know the type---I tend to be one myself. But do we really have to send mail back when there are a whopping 12 people who live on Main Street, six of them contained in my own house?
It’s bad enough that all the farmers in town are spreading and the wind keeps blowing in my windows, but this whole trash situation…well, it stinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment