I've always had a love affair with office supplies. It's sick, but true. Part of my apprehension about starting a blog was because of it's lack of actual paper. However, here I am. I hope my adventures bring you joy, laughter, and a little glimpse of the world.

For the record, please pronounce this "Blog" and not "Blaaaag".

Monday, June 14, 2010

The UN in UNsolicited

When you tell people you are moving to a foreign country, it is somewhat similar to being eight months pregnant. They look at you like you’re best friends and then it happens….unsolicited comments. Being that I had the privilege of being eight months pregnant four times, I remember the lack of respect for one’s physical space and/or capability as a human being.

It goes like this; “Kids are expensive.” Really, I had no idea. I thought they came out of an egg made of money that paid for them. Bummer. Too late now.

Or, “You’re so young.” How would they like it if I told them they were so old?
Or my personal favorite;”You sure have your hands full.” It seems that this comment usually comes from a complete stranger in a super-market where in fact, I have a cart full.

So it goes when people hear you’re moving across the world.

“It’s cold there.” Oh, man! I just bought a bikini because I thought it was on the equator. I haven’t even checked a map or the weather patterns to see where I am taking my whole family. Really? Is that the best you’ve got?

“How are you planning to get there?” By boat, of course. Air travel is so bothersome and slow.

“What are you going to do with the children?” Spread them out among family members and leave them here. No, honestly though, they’re coming with us. I thought that was natural, but maybe not.

Forgive my sarcasm. Someday I know I will be older and wiser and will come across those who haven’t seen my life experiences. And when I do, and they inform me of their adventures in life, I will kindly smile and say “good luck with that.”

1 comment:

  1. Your ability to describe the reality of the unsolicited bit of feedback cracks me up! I think you should just respond with "Don't hate.....celebrate!"

    ReplyDelete